Wednesday, January 13, 2010

guilty by association

I'm always reminded of, for better AND worse, certain people in different things. Whether it be a TV show, a certain food, a song, article of clothing, etc, I don't recall the last day when I WASN'T reminded of someone that I associated with something. But whether it's a positive or a negative association, I'm not sure this correlation we quantify between things-people does anyone any good.

I was inspired to write about this when I recently saw an episode of a certain TV show... and then in the back of my mind, I remembered the negative connotation I've come to place on the show due to my experiences with a certain person. As a result, I've come to enjoy things such as this TV show with a bittersweet disposition at best... and I'm reminded of bad times yet again.

On the other side, even when there is a positive correlation, it's not necessarily a good thing. I think in this day and age, we're so used to categorizing everything, that naturally, this phenomenon extends to people. There is the camera guy, the tech guy, the music guy, the funny guy, the fat guy, the fashion guy, the random guy, the _____ guy, etc. We do this so often that I feel like we often typecast one another and are satisfied to leave our perceptions of them at that, rather than striving to get to know them better. And on the other end of this effect, the more we typecast a certain person, the more that person is likely to become, in a way, victimized and pigeonholed into whatever people associate them with. People are more than their hobbies and interests, FYI.

And in a random life update, I did not get the score I wanted on my LSAT. I will retake it in June, which means that I will have to take another year off. Whether that means volunteering, interning, working, or even moving, I'm uncertain of at this point. Although this development wasn't totally out of the realm of possibility, it's definitely knocked the wind out of my sail, so to speak.. so hopefully I can break out of that funk, pray, and attack the openings that the Lord provides.


1 comment:

Law School Podcaster said...

re. your lsat studying, you might find our podcast helpful.

www.lawschoolpodcaster.com